Morkel & De Villiers History
The firm was started by Mr A Solomon who was admitted as an Attorney and Notary on the 29th May 1908 and commenced practice for his own account in Somerset West. The earliest correspondence that we have is a letter of demand of 1918 which was for a local butcher suing for the princely sum of 7,50.
After the Second World War Mr Ryk Morkel qualified as an Attorney and in early 1942 joined Mr Solomon, as the younger partner where the practice was conducted from 3 Church Street, Somerset West. This Association continued until Mr Solomon had to retire through ill health, the practice being dissolved at the end of June 1960 where after Mr Morkel practiced on his own under the name of AJ Solomon and Morkel.
In 1964 Mr Morkel was joined by Mr M M De Villiers who had previously practiced in Beauford West and the name of the firm was for the first time changed to "Morkel & De Villiers". Subsequent partners who joined over the years were Julian Weil in 1970, Eben Potgieter in 1976 and Mike Rose in 1980.
Paul du Toit and Christie Krige had previously been Directors and Partners at Attorney Louw & Key also of Somerset West but when this latter firm ceased to operate in 1988 and the partnership was dissolved, Paul and Christie joined Morkel & De Villiers. Paul retired in August 2015.
Lyndi Labuschagne joined the firm as an Associate in 2007 and was appointed as a Director on 1 September 2015. Christo Nimb also joined the Firm as Director on 1 September 2015.